Sunday, January 29, 2012

"I...don't...want...the CAKE!"

Friday, January 27, 2012
I’d have been better off wearing water skis on the trails for my run.  The snow and ice was gone…melted…but they’d left behind a soupy, muddy slop that was difficult to run in.   Having no chance of coming through with dry feet, I plowed through some mud and got it over with early.  I’ve found that if I take my shoes and socks and stick them by the vent in our entrance, they’ll be dry in the morning and offer a sweet fragrance to the air downstairs while they’re drying…so get wet.

I have been making sure all my runs pass the marsh at some point, continuing to hope for another eagle sighting.   I met with failure on this run…but I still love running anywhere around that marsh since it always has something to offer.  My plantar bothered me for the first 10 minutes, but the remainder of the run was pain-free.  I finished in 40 minutes and could easily have done more, but elected to go easy on the feet and put in some ride time on the trainer instead.  I came home and put in another 45 minutes before getting a reminder from Holly that we had a surprise birthday party we needed to attend.

I know these things can have all the wrong kinds of food and that if I don’t do something pre-emptive, I’m going to eat poorly.  I loaded the blender with a banana, pear, blueberries, strawberries, yogurt and apple cider, and blended myself 32 ounces of a stomach-filling smoothie.  We went to the party and when I moved through the buffet line, I wasn’t even tempted by the pizza and sausage-stuffed mushrooms…which I would have devoured without the smoothie.  Later that evening when the birthday cake was cut and portioned, a woman at our table tested my metal by offering to get me a piece about six times.  I suppose some people are uncomfortable eating dessert when someone sitting across from them isn’t, but there are so many people trying to lose weight, that I can’t imagine trying to make a grown adult eat something they clearly don’t want.  I told her if she asked me again, I was going to push her face in what was left of the cake.  She backed off.

 Okay…maybe I just ‘thought’ that last part.

Run Duration:  40 minutes.  Bike Duration:  45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 running and 120 cycling.
Calories burned during workout: 675 running and 625 biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment