Sunday, January 29, 2012

Climbing Everest at age 71...

Thursday, January 26, 2012
I suppose many of you know I read the book ‘Younger Next Year’ recently.  Co-written by a guy in his 70’s, the book emphasizes that the human body can maintain much of its fitness and strength well into our 80’s if…and only if…we continue to exercise six days a week.  Though I had no intentions of stopping, this book surprised me with the evidence it offered on the potential to maintain levels so close to our prime years for so long.  Personally…I just want to be active for as long as I can.  I don’t care about living longer…though that would be okay…but I always want to be ‘in the game.’  Right now I am and I intend to continue…and maybe ratchet it up some.

And so I’m riding my trainer and watching another episode of ‘Everest: Beyond the Limit’ when I discover that a member of the current team is a 71-year old climber from Japan.  A year earlier, he had summited a 26,000 foot peak in the Himalaya’s from where he could see Everest.  He descended with a determination to summit Everest the following year, not knowing that if he succeeded, he would become the oldest man to do so.

I’ve been watching this series for some time and having a reasonable understand of the physiology required to make this ascent and  think it rather amazing that he was even considering it.  Yet…he’d done 26,000 feet at age 70 already!  This is a man that does not feel he has limitations based on age…only conditioning.  I want to be this gentleman when I’m in my 70’s, and really believe I can be so long as I continue to do what I’m doing without thinking that I have any limitations based on age.  It’s a state of mind…backed up by the willingness to just get out and do it.

Bike Duration:  90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1250.

No comments:

Post a Comment