Monday, June 4, 2012

The Bike Whisperer

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012
I hurried home knowing that I wouldn't have time for a workout because Holly and I were driving to Akron to have pizza with Heidi, which concerned me because  I cannot sit down in front of a pizza and not eat everything in the box.  And…I eat so fast that others have little time to make an impression.

As I was pulling into my drive, I waved to my neighbor, who was standing over a bicycle.  She walked over and asked if I could help them get air in the tires. 

“It’s got some weird valve and I can’t seem to get any air in it,” she said.

I knew I’d be looking at a presta valve and that it would likely be bent from her efforts.  Presta valves are unusual and often found on high performance road and mountain bikes that accept higher PSI.  It was what she had.

“Don’t worry…I’ve got an adapter,” I said, but after trying to get air in it, found that the bend she’d put in the valve wouldn’t allow it to hold air while I was taking the adapter off.

I grabbed some needle-nosed pliers and went to work on the valve.  I had a backup tube, but didn’t think she’d want to wait…the family was lined up on their bikes and expecting to ride to the ice cream store.  Their 5-year old daughter would be going without an ice cream cone if I failed in my efforts.  I was beginning to understand the pressures of similar situations…like open heart surgery or the removal of a brain tumor.  Once I had it straightened, I reattached the pump, inflated the tire to the proper pressure and released the pump attachment.  It held.

“You’re like a ‘bike whisperer’,” my neighbor exclaimed as I replaced my tools on the work bench.

“It was close there for a moment…but, yeah, I pretty much am,” I said as she rode off with the family.

We were visiting with Heidi because she would be leaving shortly on a 21-day road trip that would take her to some amazing national parks out west, including the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park.  She needed some camping gear…I’d strongly recommended a bear canister, bed roll, good sleeping bag, backpack and a good tent.  She talked about buying a pack for the trip, but I suggested she not buy one in a hurry since it is such a critical piece of equipment and took time to research and try out available product.  Personally, I buy light weight and high quality in all my gear…and she knows it. 

“I’d rather you borrow mine for now and we’ll take our time and find you a really good one when you return,” I suggested.  She went with that advice.

I’ve done a couple of things right in raising my children…the things I’ve done wrong Holly has stepped in and fixed…but getting them interested in the outdoors, backpacking and camping I count as a good one.  She’ll take amazing pictures I’m sure, she’s quite a photographer, and she’ll show me places I really need to go.  I’m still young…I’ve got time.

No comments:

Post a Comment