Monday, June 25, 2012

Pedal to the Point

Thursday, June 21, 2012
I’ve known Bruce for years.  I encouraged him to join me on a trip to the Adirondacks a couple of years ago and he came and climbed.  I’ve dragged him kayaking and encouraged him to get into cycling.  He did last year by signing up for the ‘Pedal to the Point’ ride, a 150-mile round trip bike ride serving as a fund raiser in the fight against Multiple Sclerosis.  He had an old road bike for his first trip, but has since purchased a carbon fiber frame beauty and called recently to ask me to join his group on the ride.

“We’re kind of slow.  We cover about 12 miles an hour,” he said.

“How do you stay upright without training wheels then?” I asked.

Not that I’m Lance, but I average about 18 mph and riding that slow would make me insane.   The course they follow starts in Brunswick and goes to Sandusky.  Thousands of recreational cyclists participate in the event and each must raise a minimum of $250 to participate in the ride.  They can ride the 75 miles to Sandusky only, or do the round trip over two days.  A spaghetti dinner awaits and there is support all along the course.  Apparently, sleeping space is provided in the high school gym though most riders choose a local hotel. 

“Look Bruce...it’s a wonderful cause and you know I like to ride, but honestly I don’t like to ride in those kinds of crowds.  Besides, Savannah and I are going to Detroit that weekend to see the Tribe play the Tigers,” I said.

We left it with him joining me for a training ride the next evening.  I promised him I’d go easy and avoid a course with hills...which was a lie since there is nowhere I ride that doesn’t have some hills.  I figure he knows me well enough to know I’m lying, and if he doesn’t...well...it’ll be too late once we’re out there.

Savannah and I did another Survival Workout.  I’d skipped the morning ride because the rash was still giving me grief.  It’ll be clear by tomorrow I’m thinking, but if it isn’t I’ll just slather it with some kind of cream and ride anyway.  Lance would.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment