Friday, June 29, 2012

Breyer's in the house...

Wednesday, June 27, 2012
I’d suggested a trip to East Coast Custard to Holly the previous evening, but she’d turned me down.  I suppose that was okay...it wasn’t like I NEEDED ice cream...but I sure as hell wanted some.

She walked in the door from shopping and handed me a bag destined for the freezer.  It contained a single item...Breyer’s Ice Cream.

“I thought we could use a treat after dinner,” she said as I walked it to the downstairs freezer trying to think of where I could hide it so that Jack wouldn’t find it before we could have a bowl.  He was working and wouldn’t be off until 10, but he seemed to have some kind of ice cream detector built in to his unusually functioning brain and I figured he already knew it was in the house.

“Maybe we should eat it now,” I said, starting to worry I wouldn’t get any.

“Seriously?  He’s at work.  He doesn’t know we even have any,” she said.

“Oh...he knows,” I countered.

I’d done a hard ride in the heat earlier and had a smoothie upon my return.  My legs had felt good the entire time, but I’d ridden a little slower than usual due to the heat.  My sugar cravings were running high and the smoothie had not met the requirements.  I no longer just wanted the ice cream...now I needed it.  I checked my watch.  He’d be home soon.  He’d be like a shark around a chum line...he’d go crazy and the ice cream would be gone and if I was anywhere close, he might accidently snap off a finger...or something worse. 

“I’m having mine now,” I said.

I filled a large cereal bowl with five scoops, added chocolate syrup and peanuts, and sat down to watch an episode of ‘Modern Family’.  I’d no sooner hit the play button, when I heard the door from the garage crash open and looked to see Jack walk in.  He had a frenzied look on his face as his eyes darted around and finally came to rest on the bowl in my hands.

“You’re...um...home early,” I said.

“Yeah...I told Cheryl I had to go home.  An emergency...” he said.

His eyes never left my bowl.  I considered setting it down.  I’ve seen how quickly he can move to the basket.  His first three steps are lightning fast – and I was closer than an easy lay-up.  In the woods, if he were a grizzly, I’d throw the food one way and run the other.  But there was nowhere to run and he was faster than a grizzly.  Then it hit me.

“The rest of the container’s in the freezer.  Have some.”

He spun and went for the freezer.  In one smooth motion, he had the door open, a bowl on the counter and filled, the empty container in the trash and a spoon shoveling product to his mouth.  It was a sight to see and I shuddered at the ferocity of his moves.  Fortunately, I eat quickly and managed to finish my own before he turned towards me again.  When he did, he looked calmer though...as if whatever had overcome him was gone.  Relieved, I watched him ascend the stairs.  I’d gotten mine and that was all that really mattered.  Sorry, Holly.

Bike Duration: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1600.

No comments:

Post a Comment