Monday, June 4, 2012

Mind over matter works...

Thursday, May 31, 2012
I had done a hard, but disappointing Survival Workout on Tuesday.  I’ve been slipping a little with my attention to the workout while climbing in the Adirondacks and then the issues with my knee since returning and it showed during that session.  I was only able to do 65 reverse plank push-ups, well off my pr of 77 and a long way from the 100 I’ve been building towards.  It is a perfect example of not meeting the obligations of a strength building program…three times per week with a 48-hour rest between sessions.  I’ve done just enough to maintain, but when you couple that with my mental state which had told me not to expect much…you get a poor performance and lower reps.

I was over that now.  I approached this workout with the attitude I was strong and ready.  I hooked my feet on the gate next to my parking spot and began my declined push-ups.  With blood pooling in my brain, I struggled past 70, determined to reach 80…a 3-rep pr…or burst my head trying.  I made it with nothing to spare…barely able to get my feet off the rail before planting my face in the dirt.  I rose slowly on wobbly legs and a gimpy knee with great satisfaction.  I moved to the pull-up tree branch and added two reps to my pr there, as well.

Attitude and expectations makes a difference.  I was sure I would be setting pr’s and I did.  If you’re prepared, mind over matter works.  I went through the rest of the workout establishing two more lifting pr’s along the way and making it a banner day.  I added some new fans to the workout as well, having a number of runners and even a couple on horseback intrigued by my unusual lifting workout.

Once again, I decided against riding.  I was scheduled to see Nilesh in the morning and decided I’d just wait and see what he had so say before doing more.  My knee was still sore and it had been almost two weeks since I’d reinjured it.  I didn’t need to pile on some cycling to make it worse…it was bad enough for him to get the idea.  I suppose I’m ready to move forward.  I’m tired of hurting, though I can live with that, but I’m really tired of worrying about getting into a situation that will make in measurably worse and lead to a longer rehab. 

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment