Thursday, June 21, 2012

Early morning ride beats the heat...

Tuesday, June 19, 2012
I tried my first before work ride and it went extremely well.  I used to ride my bike to the Cleveland Athletic Club throughout the summer months and always enjoyed hitting the roads early.  It’s great to beat the heat on those muggy Cleveland days, and Tuesday was going to be one of them.  My only difficulty came from my contacts which apparently do not like morning rides.  I found them curling on my eyes...which tends to make vision a struggle...and finally had to pull over, take one out, spit on it and then try to get it back in my eye.  I succeeded and it worked.  Who needs saline solution?

I’d forgotten how much more wildlife you’re likely to see in the morning, as well.  I was cruising through Chesterland when I saw a large goose and her 5 goslings crossing the street...only as I drew closer, realized it was a goose family at all.  I’d never seen wild turkey chicks, so it was a special treat to see them now.  I didn’t register that I should stop and take a picture until it was too late, though my phone doesn’t do a very good job.  I rode a little further and looked up to notice a woman heading for her newspaper box with a large dog on a leash.  Except I was mistaken again.  Instead of a large dog, she was walking her very small animal that resembled a horse.  It was the size of a large St. Bernard...which is small for a horse and she had it on a dog’s leash as if she’d just taken it from the house for a little walk to do its business.  Why not?

I rode for almost two hours and felt so accomplished when I returned.  I’d decided about six different work-related things while riding and got off to one of my best and most productive days in a long time.  Better still, I managed to meet Savannah in the park that evening for a Survival Workout and my first double in some time.  I hope to keep the pattern going.  Two hours may be too long in the morning, but for now, it’s light enough to ride by 6 a.m., leaving plenty of time to ride and get to work. 

Bike Duration: One hour and 50 minutes. Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm riding and 100-150 for SW.
Calories burned during workout: 1550 biking and 600 for SW.

No comments:

Post a Comment