Thursday, July 31, 2014

A bike ride...

Saturday, July 26, 2014
I started the morning sharing a cup of coffee with Mimi and discussing kidney stones and the work I needed to do to get caught up at her place.  None of it was going to happen that morning, though I did manage to download a bunch of pictures from her camera to her computer for her, a task I feel she will never master – but I enjoy doing. 
I’d passed a number of garage sale signs on Friday and knowing Jason was always looking for deals on tools, called him and suggested we hit a few.  He stopped by to pick me up and over the next several hours, I climbed in and out of his truck looking over other people’s junk.  I needed to go to the bathroom every hour and finally asked him to drop me back home.
I laid on the couch and continued to nurse my sore back, but by six, I’d had enough of coddling myself and slipped into my biking gear.  My plan, possibly a little weak, was to ride about an hour in a loop that would take me no more than 30 minutes from the house at any given point.  I had my cell phone for emergencies, so what was the worst that could happen?
The skies were overcast and it had been drizzling earlier.  I wasn’t going to let this stop me, though.  I headed towards the park and on to Waite Hill, descending the precipitous Eagle Road at high speeds and heavy rain.  I reached the halfway point in a pounding downpour and soaked to the bone.  And feeling marvelous.  What would Lance have done?  He’d be riding, of course.
I got back home thinking that although it may not have been my best decision, that it had worked out okay.  I’ll do dumber things in the future, of that I’m sure.  For now, I can say I’m riding again.
Bike duration: 75 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm.
Calories Burned: 1050.

No comments:

Post a Comment