Thursday, July 10, 2014

Finally...a Survival Workout

Thursday, July 10, 2014

I arrived at the Stow house in the late afternoon knowing Jason would not be joining me and that I needed to get things done quickly so I would have time to cut Joan’s grass and maybe make it to the park before dark for a short run. 
I measured and cut baseboards for the bathrooms, spackled and painted two ceiling patches and did some miscellaneous cleaning.  Then it was a fast drive to the Solon Cleveland Clinic where I picked up my drug test results proving that I was clean and an acceptable Tour de France or Major League Baseball participant.  It was also necessary for me to receive my Merchant Mariner's Credentials, something I would need for any work I might take on the Great Lakes - more on that later.  
I arrived at Joan’s place to threatening rain and a very squishy lawn from the previous evening’s downpour.  I elected to do most of the lawn with a push mower, increasing the time but burning more calories, as well.  I finished at 8 p.m. and drove towards the park where Savannah agreed to meet me with Dakota so they could observe me doing the Survival Workout.
It had been four weeks since my last push-up when I’d knocked out 100, which meant my expectations were low.  I didn’t disappoint myself.  By 70 I was slowing, but managed to squeeze out another ten.  Actually, not too bad considering the layoff.  I was fatigued, though, and knew that I shouldn’t push it to exhaustion as I would normally if I hoped to be able to paint the next day.  Savannah arrived with Dakota and we started down the muddy trail with Dakota making a point of walking through instead of around each and every puddle.
“She’s going home in your car,” Savannah said.  She was driving her new purchase, a 2011 Honda Accord and did not want this muddy mess on her seats, towels or not.
“Not a problem if you’ll stop at Heinen’s and do the grocery shopping,” I replied. 
I went to ten stations and did my lifts, all of which were 10-15% below normal.  I’d lost some strength, which was no surprise.  I was also feeling the effects of all the work I’d been doing over the past three weeks; fatigue in the legs visited me earlier than usual.
At least I put in an effort.  The house should be done Saturday and I’m hoping to return to a regularly scheduled workout regimen.  I’ve been driving over some bodies of water each day that have gotten me wishing I had my kayak with me, too.  I miss the recreational workout/activity more than anything.  It defines me and I can’t be who I am without it.
Survival Workout: 30 minutes. 
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.

Calories Burned: 300.

No comments:

Post a Comment