Thursday, July 31, 2014

Finally...some activity.

Friday, July 25, 2014
My back pain continued throughout the day and made everything difficult to do.  Still, I knew I needed to get moving if I was to accelerate the healing process.  I went out and trimmed the grass before hopping on the riding mower to do the cutting.  It was something, at least.  When Savannah came home, I asked her to take me to the park and walk me like the dog.
“I need to move some, but I don’t want to get halfway and find out I’m unable to continue,” I said.
We went on a 1.7 mile trail and I walked at about 50% of my normal walking pace.  My back was sore, but loosened up as we walked and by the time we reached the car, I was feeling looser but exhausted.
I picked up some groceries and decided to make an Amish casserole for dinner.  I called Jason and invited him over.  Being up and moving was definitely helping.  I’d gone out to do something in the yard and when I returned, found Jack making a mountain of chicken and rice.  I told him about my dinner plan.
“I’m going out on a date, dad, so I don’t think I’ll be here for dinner,” he said.
“Hey…that’s great.  What are you guys going to do,” I asked, watching the food mounded on his plate spilling to the table when he stuck his fork in for a bite.
“We’re going out to get something to eat,” he said as he chewed and swallowed.
I scratched my head, looked at my watch – it was 6 p.m. – and then at his plate again and pointed at it with a questioning expression.
“We’re not going until 8,” he said and continued to chew.
I ate the dinner with gusto – the first meal I’d truly enjoyed in close to a week.  Jason and I discussed the work we would be doing on his garage the next day; we would be putting up walls to create a workshop.  He left and I plugged in a movie and just tried to rest my back and continue the healing.
Hike duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 90 bpm.

Calories Burned: 175.

No comments:

Post a Comment