Thursday, July 17, 2014

A full Survival Workout...

Thursday, July 17, 2014
With no grass to cut or houses to paint, at least for one evening, I drove straight to the North Chagrin Reservation for a Survival Workout.
I did manage to do an abbreviated workout several days ago, but I climbed out of the car with the intention of completely kicking my own ass.  I’d managed 80 push-ups, down from the 100 I’d managed before starting the remodeling project several weeks ago, and figured I’d be happy to hit that number again.  With some struggling over the final 2 and a head ready to explode from the blood rush, I managed 86.  Quite pleased, I did my core work, pull-ups and finished with a set of dips before heading down the trail to the next station.
I realized when I reached my next stop that I was already feeling the effect of the first set…and that’s not normal.  Someone had taken my biceps curling rock; this has happened before and I’m thinking I need to hide it.  I’m not sure what they’re doing with them other than trying to mess with my mind, but I’m also thinking of installing security cameras to bust them.  Or not.
When I reached my third station, my muscles were over-pumped and tired.  That’s a good thing, though.  There was a large construction dumpster in the horse trailer parking lot where I do a series of exercises and a bobcat sitting next to it.  Some major construction project was happening in my park – and I hadn’t gotten the memo!  I climbed up the side of the dumpster and peered inside.  It was loaded with the debris from a destroyed foot bridge and the bridle trail was listed as ‘closed’, but this applies only to visitors to the park…for me it is simply a suggestion which I chose to ignore.
I found the bridge they’d removed and wondered if it was being replaced.  I was forced down into the creek to get across and it was there that, testing several rocks, found a suitable replacement for my biceps curling rock.  I didn’t want to leave it there, so I hauled it with me for a quarter mile – a nice addition to the workout – before dropping it behind a tree where no one would see it and consider removing it. 
I climbed the swing sets, did a sprint and some high knees and by the time I returned to the car, I’d done 21 different sets and was thoroughly exhausted.  As I walked under the pull-up branch, I pondered throwing in one more set.  It was a struggle to get my tired arms overhead, but once my hands were on the branch, I figured I may as well just pull.  I managed 8 and called it a night.
I was proud of the effort.  I also decided, while walking, that I’d head for the Adirondacks for the weekend.  Donnie has some time off and it planning to meet me in Cranberry Lake for some camping.  I could use the escape.
Survival Workout: 60 minutes. 
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.

Calories Burned:600.

No comments:

Post a Comment