Tuesday, January 5, 2016

An epic New Year...

Friday, January 1, 2016
It would turn out to be a quiet day as these tend to go, and with no remarkable exercise effort.  It did not pass however without more serious consideration for the things that need to and will happen in 2016.

I have been living in the ‘family home’ for the past 18 years, mostly with my family and Holly.  All of that changed three years ago and now, through a set of circumstances over which I had little control, I find myself alone in a six-bedroom house.  A little more room than I need and something that I will have to correct this year.  I have many minor improvements to conduct to prepare it for sale, but more importantly need to decide where I will land and what the roof over my head will look like.  I have visions of a very small carbon footprint and will continue to investigate things like trailer living on a welcoming farm, modular home living in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, renting temporarily, building a miniature home somewhere, or simply buying a smaller home somewhere in close proximity to my family. 

Then there are thoughts of entering my 61st year and that I will be only 365 days from retirement, should I decide to exercise that option.  Much more careful planning and consideration needs to take place and, of course, is tied directly to the above mentioned place of residence.  I have a bucket list of things I want to do before I become physically unable and they are strenuous.  The sooner I begin that major life quest, the better. 

And then there is companionship.  This important ingredient to my dream of a happy and complete life also needs to fit with one and two above.  I don’t kid myself into thinking that there is someone who would want to join me in my pursuits, though I would certainly invite that, but as important as I think some of these things are, they truly pale in comparison to being with someone – maybe every day – that compliments or completes the person I am and the life I want to lead.  A recent encounter with a very lovely lady caused me to realize, or maybe acknowledge, how important this is.  Thank you for that.

So…a family dinner of beef and dumplings was provided for Jack’s last night before returning to Fort Gordon, Georgia.  My home will become a house again as he leaves for the airport and so I must remind myself that the dwelling after all is only a dwelling without someone you love to share it with.  Happy New Year to all readers.  Thank you for continuing to share in my journey of fitness and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment