Friday, January 8, 2016

Mouse traps...

Wednesday, January 6. 2016
Though the temperature was heading back up, it was still a little too cold, the teens, to want to do much outdoors.  Maybe I’m getting soft…I am getting soft, but I decided not to stop at the park for a workout, opting instead to ride the trainer once home.  I know the condition of my workout trail after days of frigid temperatures…my lifting rocks and logs are frozen in place leaving me frustrated.  I suppose I could hike with my blow torch, though I doubt the Rangers would look favorably on that idea.

I’d stopped at Mimi’s to remove a mouse carcass from the trap I’d set under her kitchen sink.  We’ve gotten four over the past several weeks.  I have set two together and wonder about the training they must go through as young mice.  I’m pretty sure it does not include what to do if you come upon a fellow mouse, croaked in a trap next to a similar trap with a whiff of tasty cheese in it.  I’m sure if I was teaching ‘evade traps that will squish you 101’, I’d tell them NOT to nibble on the trap nearby for the odds are it too will be holding a dead mouse by morning.  In any event, they go for the second trap.

Mimi likes to throw away the trap with the mouse whereas I see them as entirely reusable.  It’s the minimalist in me.  I retrieved the trap, performed a proper burial, and reloaded it.

The ride at home was sweaty and stationary and had me wishing already for the days of spring and outdoor riding.  I have plans for lots of riding, hiking, and kayaking this coming season, though getting the house on the market will take precedence.  I need some end of summer goal, in addition to the three trips I’m likely to take to the Adirondacks, to keep my on task and riding hard.  Maybe an overnight cycling trip a hundred miles away.  There are certainly many places I’d like to ride, but need to find someone willing to join me, which always makes it more fun.
Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 750.

No comments:

Post a Comment