Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The second day...

Saturday, January 2, 2016
I was in the North Chagrin Reservation putting myself through the paces of a Survival Workout with Dakota in tow when I felt my phone vibrate indicating a text message.  Dedicated as I am to working out, I did what any fitness fanatic would do, ignoring the message…until I completed the set.

‘I’m making banana bread though I am short a banana’ it read.

Now to me, this is a major issue.  It’s like ‘I’m making and omelet, but I don’t have any eggs.’ I’m thinking, in that case, you’d be eating air.  I had several very ripe bananas sitting on my counter at home awaiting my next quite incredible fruit smoothie.

“I’m pretty sure a banana is an important ingredient in banana bread,” I stated when I called.

“I’ve got two bananas, but it so much better with three,” Kimberly replied.

I drove home following another set…that’s right, I left my workout before completing it, grabbed one banana, and drove it the short distance to her place.  I strongly considered bringing my entire stash in hopes that I’d get a loaf of my own, but that was presumptuous and risky.  At the very least though, I shared in the end product which included my banana.  It was quite amazing.

I invited her on my ‘Snowman’s Ridge’ hike later that afternoon and I believe she was impressed with the beauty of the off-trail hike.  It is certainly more strenuous and gets you to parts of the park seen by few people.  I particularly enjoy the ridge overlooking the marsh – a viewpoint I can enjoy for hours – and have.

It turned out to be a decent calorie burner of a day, though I did manage a very good burger and fries in downtown Willoughby later that evening.  I didn’t eat all the fries and continue to shy from my lifelong membership in the ‘clean plate club’.  Who needs ALL the bad calories when you can be really happy with most of them?
Survival Workout: 60 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned:  600

Hike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 75 bpm.
Calories Burned: 350

No comments:

Post a Comment