Thursday, January 7, 2016

Baby it's cold outside...

Tuesday, January 5, 2016
The car thermometer registered ‘4’ degrees on my drive to the farm that morning, which made it an excellent day to look for inside work to do.  I had the tractor in the shop to make it easier to start on cold mornings and decided it would be an excellent time to change oil and clean manure from the inner compartments of the engine.  I had received an email from Maureen in the front office asking me if I could pick up an area rug carpeting to replace the tattered one currently residing in her office and under her desk and filing cabinet.  I paid her a visit.

“I think today would be an excellent day to replace this thing,” I said, kicking at her carpeting.

“Today?  There’s lots of stuff to move and it could take a while,” she said.

“It’s four degrees out there and that makes it ‘carpet replacing day’ in the 70-degree office,” I said.  She didn’t argue.

Melissa brought me some kind of pasta with meat, cheese and a red sauce to replace the lunch she’d tossed in the trash the previous day.  I’d told her not to do it, but her guilt overcame her and so she made the purchase.  It was excellent and I told her she could throw my lunch away anytime she wanted if she was going to supply such meals the following day.

I arrived home more than a little cold since you cannot stay entirely out of the weather on the farm no matter how many carpets there are to replace.  With the thermostat at ‘sixty’ in my own house, warming up was tenuous at best…unless you climb on the trainer and ride for an hour, which is what I did.

I have some research to do on a procedure called ‘Tenex’ for relief of chronic heel pain.  My doc had suggested I study it and give him a call.  Apparently, it is some kind of chip that is inserted in the heel to speed recovery.  I’m a little price sensitive, so this will be a factor.  We’ll see where it leads.
Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 750.

No comments:

Post a Comment