Monday, January 11, 2016

"What time did you say?"

Saturday, January 9, 2016
I had to be at the farm by 10 a.m. to meet the plumber, but saw this as no reason to skip a breakfast at Kleifelds.  Henry was dropping by to pick up the deep fryer he’d used to make the turkey the previous week and as a regular reader of the blog, should experience Kleifelds, I’d concluded.

We arrived at 8 a.m. and were soon joined by Bob, my nutritionist and long-time friend.  Bob was struggling with a major issue in his new condominium and explained it to Henry, an attorney.

“I can hear the guy on the floor below me…almost perfectly when he’s having a normal conversation,” he said.  The condo was new, but he wanted out.

“You still thinking of selling your place, John?  Maybe we could be roommates,” he suggested. 

The Odd Couple…Felix and Oscar.  Just guess for a second if you can which one of us would be Oscar.  “This guy probably dusts under his salt shaker every day.  I look for mud to step into before walking in the house,” I said.  “I’m pretty sure you’d want to kill me, but sure, I’d be totally up for that.”

I drove to the farm to meet the plumber who is notoriously late.  He didn’t disappoint me and when he arrived a half hour after the agreed upon meeting time, it was only to tell me he couldn’t do the work that day and could he make it tomorrow at the same time.
“Half an hour after whenever we agree to meet?” I asked.


Henry had recommended me to a woman in his office to help her in designing an exercise program she could do outside.  We had agreed to meet at 2 p.m. so I could take her through the Survival Workout, but she too suffered from plumberitus and arrived 30 minutes late.

“I have to be back here by four to meet someone, so we’ll have to hurry,” I explained.  She told me she’d struggled finding the house because…well…she had.  After a little prying, I discovered she was traveling with not one, but two GPS devices.

“You may want to consider using one of those for the ride home,” I said after she lamed her way through the excuses she had for not using them on the way over.

I demonstrated all the moves she would need to make and we did many of them before returning to the car.  I was extremely pleased with my push-up effort on my first set when I eked out 90 repetitions.  We agreed to meet again at her place where I could lay out a course for her on her own property after she identified the rocks and logs she would be using for her lifting.

Kimberly joined me for a trip to Patterson’s and a short walk with Dakota.  It was only twenty minutes and though better than not walking, not one that I’ll include as part of the workout.  Later that night, I made my famous Amish casserole recipe using spinach noodles instead of noodles that taste like noodles.  It turned out pretty well, though and I suppose was a tad healthier.
Survival Workout: 60 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 bpm.
Calories Burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment