Monday, March 7, 2016

Bread pudding is a dessert!

Saturday, March 5, 2016
I’d managed another 11,000 steps at the farm on Friday and finished the day with an hour on the trainer.  I hadn’t done a Survival Workout in some time though, and was really starting to feel the lack of muscular training and the flexibility that comes with it.

I woke up early Saturday with no side jobs to perform and so found myself on the bike and pedaling an hour, which turned into 65 minutes so that I could finish watching the true story of college basketball player, Cory Weissman, and his return to basketball after a devastating stroke in his freshman year.  His level of persistence and determination against all odds in the movie ‘1,000 to One’ is an inspiration to anyone trying to overcome obstacles of any kind.  My ride was easier watching him struggle and it also pushed me to plan a Survival Workout for later in the day.

“I’ll meet you shortly and don’t tell me it’s too cold.  We’re going to the park for a Survival Workout and a hike,” I told Kimberly when I called.  I had been inspired and I’d force her to suffer the consequences.

The trails were particularly muddy, which meant Dakota would be a mess when returning to the car.  I pushed up, lifted rocks and logs, hopped on benches and climbed hills with what seemed like boundless energy.  I knew I’d be feeling it later, but for the moment I was showing off and driving myself.  We reached a large pavilion with a huge fireplace and exposed chimney, which I challenged Kimberly to climb.  She was more than willing, but wondered out loud about getting back down once she reached the top. 

“I’m down here.  I’ll catch you if you fall,” I said with no confidence at all.

“Like you did when I jumped to you from that ledge in the woods a few minutes ago?” she replied.

She had been standing on one and had launched herself at me and I had been totally surprised and I had missed her and she had fallen in the mud and she had read me the riot act about being incompetent.

“Well…at least I’m ready this time,” I said.

Thankfully she didn’t fall and the workout continued.  I climbed the swingset once before returning to the car and a decent shower.  Later, she made a dinner that consisted of a tomato the size of my head stuffed with mushrooms, chicken, pepper, onion, garlic, spinach and some other spices.  It was quite good and a little too healthy for my taste.  She’d also made some bread pudding, which I was primed to eat for dessert.

“It’s not dessert…it’s a breakfast meal so you don’t have to go to Kleifeld’s and eat that garbage you eat there,” she said.

I stuttered, “it’s pudding!  You always eat pudding for dessert.”

But she was adamant so I called Donnie. “If the word ‘pudding’ is in it, doesn’t that automatically make it dessert?”

“Well…John…to a man’s way of thinking – sure.  But you’re dealing with a woman, so good luck,” he said.

I had it for breakfast.
Bike duration: 65 minutes.  Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 135 biking and 100-150 on SW.
Calories burned: 800 biking and 500 for Survival Workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment