Friday, March 11, 2016

"If this call is for..."

Thursday, March 10, 2016
“I can’t get it past that wood from the cabinet.  It’s warped and sticking out,” Derek, the installation service Home Depot used when selling appliances.

They were delivering our new Whirlpool dishwasher and trying to install it, as per my sales agreement, but nothing was going well. 

“Pull it out of there and I’ll rebuild the cabinet today so maybe you can get me on the schedule for tomorrow to finish,” I said.

He agreed and gave me a number to call to schedule the install. 

After a couple of hours working with a sawzall to cut out the rotting boards and shaping a new one to replace it, I took the number Derek had given me and called for the completion of the installation.  The '800' number rang, and then the real frustration began.

 “If you are calling for xxx, dial 1.  If you are calling for yyy, dial 2…”.  I went through several choices before landing on hold with the caveat that it would only be two minutes…or so the recorded voice promised.  I looked at my watch and began the wait.  Twenty minutes later, I heard the familiar sound of a disconnect and cursed loudly.  I called back immediately, went through the seven steps necessary to be put on hold and again listened to the announcement about ‘two minutes’.  I waited ten and gave up.

I had a number from my purchase with a Home Depot customer service rep, so I gave it a call.  “If you know the three digit extension…” I did and I tried it.  I went to voicemail so I called back in and tried another option to reach a human.  After several diversions, I hung up the phone and decided it was time to get in my car and drive to Home Depot.  It was 15 minutes away, but had to be quicker than what I’d been doing.

I walked to the appliance area and immediately recognized the salesman who had sold me the dishwasher and given me the customer service person’s card. 

“Can we help you?”

And so I told my story of frustration with the phones and begged them to schedule the completion of my install, which they did for the following Tuesday.  I miss the days when humans answered phones…but I’m old and grumpy.

I’d had another 11,000-step day to go with my work frustrations, but with the rain coming down continuously since the previous evening, the park was fit only for ducks and turtles.  Kimberly stopped by for another healthy dinner…she actually complimented my Quinoa mix though alerted me to how much better and healthier it could be with avocado added.  That’s something green, I’m almost sure, though I’d been thinking maple syrup would have added more.

My foot was hurting and so I wrapped my ice pack around it for the second time after dinner and then put on the night splint, opting not to do anymore exercise.  Even cycling puts undo stress on the plantar, which I’ll deny when I talk to the doc if he’ll let me ride during recovery.  The forecast for the weekend is fifties and sporadic rain, but since I’ll be in full blown colon cleansing by Sunday, I may not get much riding done.  Second colonoscopy on Monday, which always provides some entertainment.
Bonus: 11,000 steps

No comments:

Post a Comment