Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Leave No Trace...

Tuesday, March 1, 2016
I love that it is March.  Although we continue to get snow, it is sporadic and Spring is almost here.  I guess I’m just getting old and don’t want to deal with the cold so much anymore.  Though the winter was mild by northeast Ohio standards, it was still too sloppy on the roads to get the bike out and that is about to end. 

I did a phone interview last night with the people from ‘Leave No Trace’, which is an organization that promotes the seven principles of how to comport yourself in the outdoors so as to leave the smallest human impact possible upon the environment.  I had noticed an opening for the volunteer position of ‘State advocate for Ohio’ from a newsletter I receive from the non-profit organization several months ago and written to the director.  We had gone back and forth, but nothing came of it until a second person reached out to me this past December. 

“How long do you suppose you’d be willing to spend time working in this capacity for LNT?” Faith asked.

“Umm…probably up until they scatter my ashes on Skylight Mt. and at Livingston Point in the Flowed Lands of the Adirondacks,” I said.

“Okay…so for a while for sure,” she said.

“For sure,” I replied.

And why wouldn’t I?  For many years I’ve promoted health and fitness not only by what I say, but by walking that talk with what I do.  As I head towards retirement and what I hope to be increased time exploring the amazing parks and wilderness areas of North America, I certainly expect to ‘walk the talk’ of LNT principles.  Having the chance to share those ideas and encourage others to join me in the back country is something I would do anyways…so hell yeah I’d want to be the state advocate for as long as they’d want me.  Though I totally enjoy the serenity of outdoor experiences where I never see another human being, I recognize that the more people who find their way into the same spaces I enjoy, the better the chance they will continue to be supported, protected, and expanded.  The challenge is to make sure those who join me do so without damaging what they visit…hence the Leave No Trace principles.  The interview seemed to go well…how could she not be enthralled with me…and I’ll find out more in a week or so.

I didn’t find the time for a formal workout, but did notice I again hit 10,000 steps at the farm.  Thanks for making me walk my butt off, but I know it is only the icing and I need more of the formal workouts to be ready for a spring and summer full of activity.  In fact, I’m only six weeks from my 61st birthday, which traditionally has meant variations of 61 built into a workout.  For sure I’ll be doing a 61 mile bike ride and should enjoy 61 minutes of kayaking.  Running is out because of the continuing plague of plantar fasciitis, but I’ll find something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment