Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sometimes men are right...

Wednesday, March 2, 2016
My 61st birthday is a little more than a month away and if I am to do a 61-mile ride plus other feats of athletic prowess, I need to get my butt in gear.  With that in mind, I pulled the trainer from the corner and set it up in front of the TV.

An hour later and another episode of ‘Mad Men’ behind me, I headed for the shower.  I looked at my phone health application and noted that I’d also traveled 11,000 steps for the day.  Not bad.  I have found this application to be quite useful.  When I could have easily jumped into a gator at the farm to run down and pick up the mail, I instead walked thinking that I’d be adding steps to the total as I went.  On other occasions, I walk the property’s 40 acres instead of using a vehicle for the same reason.  I park farther from entrances to stores and look for chances to climb stairs and all this because a simple display on my IPhone is going to tell me I’ve gone over 10,000 steps by the end of the day.  It works and so God bless it and any device that encourages people to do more than they would have otherwise.

Kimberly suggested we have sloppy joe’s and texted me a grocery list that included an onion, green pepper, catsup, and ‘either ground turkey or ground beef’.  It was a test and I knew it.  I walked to the meat department and unhesitatingly grabbed a pound of ground turkey with its lower fat and sodium content and the highest rating on good meat to eat on the Paleo glycemic index.  Even if she hadn’t tried to trap me into buying the poorer beef choice, I’d have gone with turkey because, well, it’s cheaper too.  I’ve been using ground turkey in all of my recipes for which I used to use ground beef and haven’t noticed a taste difference.  I know I don’t miss the additional calories, either.  As she emptied the grocery bag upon her arrival though, she looked at me while holding up the sweet red onion I’d bought and frowned.

“I texted you to buy a sweet, white onion,” she said with certainty of a woman who knows men always get it wrong.

I flinched, but reached for my phone because I was sure no mention of ‘white’ had been made.  I reached the communication and breathed a sigh of relief when I noted it read ‘sweet onion’ with no mention of color.  Then I made my next mistake holding the phone for her to read.

“See?  It just says ‘sweet onion’ with no ‘white’ anywhere,” I said.

“You edited it,” she declared.  How could a woman be wrong?

Then I made my second mistake. “Really.  I edited it.  Let’s look on your phone to the ‘sent’ message and see what it says.”

She smiled…the only acknowledgement I would receive that I could possibly be right.  And then I made my third mistake.

“I told you!  Just because I’m a man doesn’t automatically make me wrong.”

She really pinches hard.
Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 135 bpm.
Calories Burned: 750.

No comments:

Post a Comment