Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Purging begins...

Saturday, March 12, 2016
With spring around the corner and Mimi’s yard a mess, I drove there first thing in the morning for the beginning of the clean-up season.  We had some coffee, but I declined the offer of a bagel because I was beginning the cleansing process for Monday’s colonoscopy. 

“I have to take pooping pills at noon or so, then drink magnesium citrate tomorrow morning and then half the Mirilax at 7 p.m. and the final 32 ounces Monday morning at 5 a.m.  There won’t be a solid thing anywhere near my digestive system by the time I take that test,” I said.

I worked for the next three hours raking and gathering downed branches and cutting down all the tiny growth things in the woods next to her drive so we can walk through that area without being molested by thorns and little prickly bushes and saplings.  From her place I headed to the farm to push up the manure pile, which was encroaching on my parking lot, mixing with the mud there and making an unholy mess.  I walked through the barn with my food radar on high alert and couldn’t miss the conversation about cookies between several volunteers.

“You did say ‘chocolate chip peanut butter cookies – right?” I asked no one in particular.

“Yes!  And they’re amazing!  They’re in the Tack Room,” one of them replied.

I burst through the door and strode quickly to the cookie tray.  I reached to grab one…or seven…when it hit me that I couldn’t eat anything solid.

“This is absolutely, inhumanely cruel,” I mumbled to myself as I turned and walked away.

I went home and took my frustrations out on the trainer, biking for fifty minutes before Kimberly showed for our hike in the park.  She’d been running and was doubling up, like me.

“I want an off-trail, tough hike,” she said, which always suited me.

We covered another 8,000 steps through dense woods, down into the ravine and around the marsh before working back up towards the car and through more woods and ravines.  My legs, tired from the hard ride on the trainer, was feeling it.  My stomach was starting to grumble too, a result of the four ducolax pills I’d ingested earlier in the afternoon. 

By seven, things were moving through me and the thought of all I had yet to ingest to continue the cleansing was less than pleasant.  I’d had my last solid food Friday night and couldn’t have any more until after the test on Monday afternoon.  I was going to be getting hungry…

Bike Duration: 50 minutes.  Yard work: Three hours.  Hike: Two hours.
Training Heart Rate: 135 biking, 90 in the yard, and 75-120 hiking.
Calories Burned: 700 biking, 1,000 for yard work, 700 hiking.
Bonus: 14,000 steps for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment