Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's okay to hike...

Monday, February 21, 2011

Though running on my toes during yesterday’s run had been a tremendous help in eliminating the oncoming pain in my achilles, it was going to play havoc with the plantar fascia of my…the strong tendons running from the heels to the balls of the feet. By Sunday evening, I was in pain with every step I took around the house and well aware that it wouldn’t be going away any time soon. If it ain’t one thing…it’s another. Well…I’ve been here many times before and I’ll just work through it. Tomorrow.

My feet were still quite sore when I arrived at the Metropark. It wasn’t a run day…but the way they were feeling, I didn’t even want to walk. Manning up though, I grabbed my camera and made my way into the woods. My plan was to work my way down to the marsh and look for signs and maybe get a picture of…the elusive coyotes. Their tracks were everywhere as I approached the area, but the snow was extremely crunchy, warning anything with ears that I was approaching. I knew I wouldn’t be surprising them, but at least my feet had stopped hurting…they tend to once you begin exercising them…and it was a beautiful evening and kind of a workout.

Which is another thing. I have advised many people over the years…and continue to do so…to begin a hiking program as their form of conditioning. I tell them it’s a good workout, gives them the opportunity to experience nature and improve balance walking off-trail, isn’t boring and lots of other stuff. Yet…whenever I’m following my own advice and hike, I always feel like I still need to do a workout. Often times I guilt myself into it, too, going home to ride the trainer or getting in a run at some later time. I suppose old habits die hard and I’ve conditioned myself after years of training to feel that if I haven’t gotten my heart rate over 130 beats per minute for 30 minutes or more…I haven’t done anything. It simply isn’t true…but that’s the baggage I schlep around.

Anyway, I finished the walk without spotting any coyote and guiltily spent the remainder of the evening nursing sore feet and thinking I should do a ride. I never did…and tomorrow may be more of the same.

Hike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 300.

No comments:

Post a Comment