Thursday, February 10, 2011

The marsh is almost completely frozen...

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dakota and I hopped in the car and headed for the Metropark. Holly isn’t in to single digit weather and declined an offer to join us. I was thinking that although it had warmed over the weekend, that the frigid temperatures of the last 36 hours would likely have the marsh completely frozen.

We headed that way…me…wearing a little extra protection against the cold and Dakota…pretty much what she always wears. I was a little concerned about ice between her toes…but not enough to leave her home. She stayed in my tracks as we made our way down to the marsh since the snow was still quite deep. There was nothing moving…or wildlife was clearing out before we arrived since the sound of the crunching of my feet on the frozen snow was carrying well ahead of us. We slid down to the marsh to find the stream that feeds it completely frozen over. We headed out on the marsh seeing no signs of anyone…or anything…having already tested the ice. I wasn’t too terribly concerned, so I took my time and enjoyed the beauty of the unbroken snow as I approached the middle. The beaver lodges still appeared to have some open water near them, so I’ll have to wait to pay them a visit, but that might be in the next couple of days. I’ve never walked the entire marsh, but this cold snap may finally give me the opportunity.

We made it across and took the bridle trail paralleling Ox Lane back to the car. I’m continually amazed at just what a workout walking and sliding in the snow with heavy boots and clothes can be. As I climbed the hill, I could feel the soreness in my gluts…something I know is a result of previous hikes. As cold as it was, I was breaking a sweat as I neared the car. I know its not as rigorous as biking or running, but it’s more enjoyable and I’m not losing much training, either. I suppose I could get snow shoes, but I suspect that I’m working a good deal harder by not having them…and I’m guessing they cost money, too. I’ll stick with the boots, hiking off-trail and plowing through the deep snow. It’s really rewarding.

Hike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 300.

No comments:

Post a Comment