Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A 'picture' perfect day...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I noticed that the pain in my feet was subsiding when I got up, but it was a far cry from normal. Today was a run day and I’d have to weigh carefully what I’d be doing. That could wait, though…it was only morning.

I drove Jack to school and was reveling in the beauty of the ice formations on all the trees and bushes and pointing it out to him. “It’s not that big a deal, dad,” he said as I dropped him off in front of the Field House.

I’m trying to remember back to being 16…and it being 7 a.m….and going into school and whether the sun’s rays making the ice on trees seem like they were glowing would have gotten me excited? Yes…actually. I was, and always have been, a morning person. I’ve also been taking pictures since I was a hair older than Jack and amazing scenery shots always got me jazzed. Of course…I was definitely abnormal…definitely.

I was headed for the freeway after dropping him off and admiring the sun filtering through the ice-covered trees when I decided I wasn’t going to go straight to work. Instead, I drove down into the Chagrin Valley and, camera in tow, began pulling off the road and snapping pictures of scenes I found so beautiful that I couldn’t pass. I knew I couldn’t keep this up for too long, but I was having troubles leaving, too. I decided then that I wouldn’t be running that evening…a long hike with the camera was now the agenda.

By the time I returned to the Metropark, the sun was setting, but the rays were long and making for some great shots. I had decided that I’d walk the entire perimeter of the marsh and hope for some quality pictures. I ended up spending close to two hours and snapped over 130 pictures, though I doubted they’d do justice to what my eyes were taking in. Later…after downloading them…my suspicions proved true. Maybe if I was a better photographer…but I suspect it was just one of those nights when you have to get out and experience it…then store it on that hard drive between your ears.

Hike duration: 95 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 475.

No comments:

Post a Comment