Friday, February 25, 2011

'Lat-In-Shape' is quite a workout...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Though I’ve been around fitness and athletic clubs for most of my professional life, I have never…ever…taken an aerobics class of any kind. I was there in the beginning and saw what a smashing success they were and how millions were motivated to exercise through them. I think they’re great and always recommended them to my clients. So why then have I never done one? It’s really quite simple. Self-esteem. Something I have…and would quickly lose…if I ever ventured into any kind of a class that, at its core, required basic rhythm and movement. I have neither. In abundance.

So when I decided to attend Bob’s ‘Lat-In-Shape’ class, I knew it would be as an observer. I mean…they did stuff like cha-cha, samba, salsa, and swing steps…incorporating them into a 1-hour workout. There was music, too, all the things I’d need to entirely embarrass myself…which I never do…intentionally.

“Hey class…this is John Rolf. He’s an Exercise Physiologist and he’s here tonight to do our class and give me some feedback on ways I might improve it,” Bob said as a way of introduction.

“Um…I’m going to just observe tonight, Bob. I’ve got this hamstring thing flaring up and I think I’ll just watch,” I stammered in front of a couple of the women. They coaxed me to try in their good-natured ways…but this man knows his limitations and wasn’t budging.

“Anyway…it’ll be better for me to sit over there and have a better chance to make notes while I observe all of you,” I pleaded…lamely.

Bob had spent 30 minutes prior to class instructing 6-8 women who’d come early on the basic dance steps that he incorporated into the workout. He was very thorough and had them all moving more comfortably by the time the class began. Over 20 women crowded into the Fairport Senior Center hall for the class, ranging in age from 35 to 65…I’d guess. After going through his first song during which they did some gentle movements to loosen and warm their muscles, Bob moved into his first dance/exercise song.

In all, the class offered 10 different songs to which the participants danced and moved aerobically for about 40 minutes. Between each song, Bob offered the opportunity for recovery and water breaks…each of these being about 60 seconds. He finished with a song to which they did some light stretching and balancing moves as they allowed their heart rates to return closer to rest.

I would compare the workout to a fartlek or track workout for runners. Reasonably intense portions of between 3-5 minutes followed by recovery periods that allowed for the next repeat. This type of training burns more calories than steady-state, rhythmic aerobic exercise…to name one benefit.

It was clear to me that the participants enjoyed the workout, liked that they were learning Latin dance steps and all while toning muscles, improving their coordination and balance, muscular endurance and aerobic capacity.

I applaud Bob and ‘Lat-In-Shape’ for its originality, energy and attraction to folks more…well…my age. I believe you will be hearing much more about it in the not-to-distant future.

Oh…and since my hamstring was bothering me…really it was…I did a ride before Bob’s class.

Bike duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 675.

No comments:

Post a Comment