Monday, February 7, 2011

Leaking roofs and bike trips to Colorado...

Sunday, February 6, 2011

John and I were scheduled for a hike in the Metropark and I had plans for a challenging one. I was going to take us into four separate ravines through snow that would likely be unbroken and probably 18 inches deep. With the ice crust near the top, each step would be an exertion and I was sure we’d break a good sweat.

Still…I wanted to do more so I started the morning on the trainer with a 50-minute ride. Besides, it was Super Bowl Sunday and that usually meant I’d consume a couple of extra calories before the day was over.

Later in the day, John called to notify me that he was busy catching water that was leaking into his laundry and bed rooms. He’d spent some time on the roof trying to chisel away the ice dams that were causing the melting snow to enter his house, but with little success. “I bet I’m burning up a lot of calories with the way I’m pounding at the ice though,” he commented. At least he had that going for him…but the hike was off.

Kim stopped over to talk about her plans for a bike trip to Gothic, Co. she wanted to take this summer. Its 3,000 miles round trip and would take the entire summer to complete. She knows I have experience with these things, but nothing that long. The key is finding the right route…one that offers camping opportunities, roads in decent shape, a nice shoulder to ride on – if possible, and access to food supplies since they can’t all be carried. I suppose my single biggest concern would be about bike maintenance. I know from personal experience that breaking down a hundred miles from the nearest repair shop can be problematic. Still…I’m envious and wish I had the time for a trip like hers…or Paul’s canoe trip on the Red River from Minnesota to the Hudson Bay. Jobs and life just keep getting in the way…

Bike duration: 50 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130.
Calories burned during workout: 750.

No comments:

Post a Comment