Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Back okay again...

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I gave my back a day to get better and that’s about all it’s going to get. I headed for the Metropark and a Survival Workout thinking that maybe I’d leave out the lower back exercises…maybe. I started as I usually do…with a set of push-ups…and figured this would set the tone for the rest of the workout. When I reached sixty, I knew I was heading for a new pr and pushed myself through the next five. Pleased with such a start, I reckoned I’d be able to handle a full workout.

I ran between stations and performed every exercise without pain. I’d had some soreness at the start, but as often is the case, once the area warmed up…the pain subsided. When I reached the swing set for my pole climbs, I noticed a ranger sitting in his car observing. He left his car for a closer look after my first climb, likely trying to decide if I was quite alright. Deciding I was, he returned and drove off.

I returned on the run to the field where Jason’s rugby team met for practice. I emerged from the woods at the far end of the field and walked slowly to the group who were performing warm-up drills. I approached Jason and asked him if he’d be coming over after practice. I noticed his friend Roland getting a tape job on his ankle and walked over to say hello. The man administering the tape eyed me and explained what he was doing, after which I introduced myself as Jason’s dad. He seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. “We thought you were some crazy old man when you came walking towards us from the woods,” he said. I was covered in mud and wearing my tattered, sleeveless t-shirt and trademark bandana. “Well…I am the crazy man from the woods…but I’m still Jason’s dad,” I said…kind of enjoying the distinction. I mean how much crazier does it get than a pack of rugby players…and they thought I was off? Cool.

Jack was working at the pizza place and I knew he’d be eating there…to avoid something I might be preparing. I pulled the remainder of the leftovers from the frig and dumped it in a frying pan. I pulled the jello out and took a spoonful and noticed it reeked of onions. Don’t get me wrong…I like onions…but not in my jello. I’d mistakenly put the leftover jello in the container that had held the onions Holly had used in one of her dishes when cleaning up on Sunday. It had looked clean…but I’d screwed up. I dumped the jello. I also threw a pile of leftover ribs in the toaster oven. It wasn’t exactly a Paleo dinner, but I needed to eat the leftovers or they would spoil…and I won’t let that happen.

Tomorrow promises to be sunny and warm and I’m planning a 2-hour ride. I’m really anxious to get in some long workouts before it’s too late and the conditions over the next several days should be perfect. It’s also great weather for a long kayak trip down the river and will be particularly spectacular in the early morning with the changing leaves. Good things are coming…

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment