Friday, October 14, 2011

Maybe I'll just do a run...

Thursday, October 13, 2011
So I’m talking to Holly and telling her all about Jack and not knowing what state Detroit is in and we get on the subject of her trip to Charlottesville, South Carolina next summer.  “Too bad the convention isn’t in Savannah at the other end of the state.  You could be right on the ocean,” I said.  She looked at me with a puzzled look.  “Umm…John…I believe Savannah is in Georgia?”  Okay, okay…the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.

I was going to do a long ride when I saw the weather clearing late afternoon and was driving home with that intention when Holly called.  She reminded me she was going to a meeting at the church…which I’d forgotten about.  “I’m totally fine with going myself,” she said and I know she meant it, but I got to thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for me to go along and with that, my long bike ride turned into a run.

I had no particular course in mind, but wanted to do one where I didn’t have time check marks along the course because whenever I do, I’m always pushing myself.  My hip had been bothering me since the 53-minute run I’d done a week ago…when I’d pushed hard and tried to beat my course record…so I was looking to take it easier.  I just wanted to do a relaxing run in the park while trying to enjoy the changing colors and avoid the roots covered in the leaves that had fallen already.  And that’s what I did for the next 40 minutes. 

As I approached the car, the rain began to fall and it got me thinking that if I had ridden, I’d likely be hitting the halfway point and would have been coming home in a cold, downpour.  Now and again, I do the right thing…and it actually pays off.  

Run workout:  40 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment