Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"What's that song they're playing?"

Monday, October 24, 2011
I was watching the fifth game of the World Series in the family room and Jack had just come into the kitchen and was fishing around for something to eat...as he often does shortly after I’ve cleaned up from dinner.  It was the middle of the seventh inning and they were playing ‘God bless America’ as they have been doing at all Major League baseball games since the terrorist attack on 9/11.  Jack turned to listen and I could see one of ‘those’ questions formulating in his brain.

“Do they still play ‘My Country tis of thee” at the beginning of the game?”  I tried not to cry.  “Would you be referring to ‘The Star Spangled Banner’...our national anthem?” I asked.  He looked puzzled for a second and said, “yeah...that one.”  I told him they did still play it at the beginning of all sporting events...like his track meets...and explained why they’d added the song during the seventh inning.  I told him that I appreciated these conversations we were having lately as they provided me with the opportunity to share them with blog readers who might otherwise be bored hearing about my workouts.  “Remember the other night when you thought Detroit was in Texas?  Got some good comments on that one,” I said.  “I kind of blew another geography one the other day with Savannah,” he replied.  “She told my Kyle was in Toledo and I asked her what he was doing in Canada.  She said Toledo was in Ohio.  I guess I was thinking of Toronto.”  I hope none of these questions are on his college entrance exams.

I popped off 74 push-ups to start the Survival Workout...breaking the old record by 2.  When I managed 65 on my second set, I quickly computed that I’d need only 61 to reach 200.  When I returned to the car at the end of the workout where I do my final set of push-ups, I wasted no time getting started.  By the mid-50’s I knew I had it and finished with 66 and a three set total of 205.  I’d also set a three-set record for dips with 125. 

There is no good explanation for these kinds of days.  I’ve had them running, cycling and climbing, as well.  I feel super human...like I could go as fast or as far as time would allow.  I should do a pr on a day like that...what’s the big deal?  The days I should be most proud of are the ones where I feel like crap and managedto push myself to get through it anyway.  I’ve told many a runner I’ve coached over the years...you improve the most when you’re tired, want to quit...and push through it.  For me, that will probably be tomorrow.

It was a beautiful cool, sunny evening so I went home, took a quick shower, and returned to the park with my camera in hand to try and get some fall foliage pictures.  I needed my heavy winter boots since I knew the woods would be sloppy and ended up walking for over an hour and breaking another good sweat.  I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a double...but I did burn quite a few bonus calories.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.  Hike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm for Survival and 75 for the hike.
Calories burned during workout:  600 for the Survival and 300 for the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment