Monday, October 10, 2011

Paleo Diet is working for Henry...

Sunday, October 09, 2011

I hadn’t checked in on Henry since meeting with him three weeks ago and discussing the value of the Paleo diet and decided it was time to make that call. I also wanted to coax him out on the kayaks in the coming days…some of the best kayaking weather of the year if it stayed sunny. “John…it’s going well, but you know it’s like emptying the ocean with a bucket,” he said. And it might seem like that when you’ve got a lot to lose, but just start bailing because the alternative sucks. “It’s a two-year plan, Henry. Just stick with it and you’ll get there,” I said. He told me he’d already lost 15 pounds and was feeling much better. His legs were no longer hurting in the morning and he wasn’t missing anything from his old diet. “For me…it’s the smoothie. I love them and it kills my sweet tooth,” I said. Apparently he’s been drinking them with the same results. He’s always traveling for work and might find himself at a trial this weekend, but if not, he promised to join me at either Mogador Reservoir or the Upper Cuyahoga for some quality paddling.

Dan called to let me know the Honda was ready. He’d had to replace all the brake and fuel lines to the rear of the car as they had disintegrated as soon as he’d handled them. I suppose a 14-year old car is going to have these kinds of issues, but I sure love the gas mileage I get from my Civic. I suited up for the bike ride to his place and headed out.

I’ve complained a lot about the weather over the past…well…year…so I have to give credit where credit is due. It was another absolutely perfect day to ride and I took the long course to Dan’s, heading out Pekin Road. The skies were a deep blue and beautifully accented the fall colors of the trees all along this country road. It was one of those days you just wish would never end and I was feeling wonderful on the bike with no signs of cramping. The direct route on Wilson Mills is only 16 miles, but I was able to make it closer to 30 by taking Pekin.

Dan was talking to a neighbor when I arrived on my sleek road bike, and he wanted to know whether and why my bike was faster than his mountain bike. “I’m a little afraid of those thin tires,” he said. “I could ride your bike and get the exact same workout riding 25% slower. The only difference is that it’ll take a little longer to get where I’m going,” I explained. Which is true. I would burn a few more calories since I’d be on the bike longer, but minute for minute…it would be the same. I loaded the bike in the car and thanked Dan while hoping I wouldn’t need his services for some time. I like riding to his place, but its never for a good reason.

Bike workout: One hour and 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1,450.

No comments:

Post a Comment