Saturday, October 22, 2011

Could it get any wetter?

Friday, October 21, 2011
The rains continued unabated getting the trails in the Metropark to the point where, with the exception of the bridles, were becoming unmanageable.  Don’t get me wrong, I like to get dirty during my workouts, but trails this sloppy and covered in standing water are just sprained ankles...and worse...waiting to happen.  As I drove to the park, I played in my head my knowledge of all the trails and what course I might be able to run without SCUBA.

I ran along the course I used for the Survival Workout and had to scoot into the woods on a couple of occasions to avoid stretches of mud.  Actually, running off trail in this fashion is a fantastic change of pace and a great conditioner and trainer.  Instead of placing one foot in front of the other as on the bridle trail, heading into the woods provides the opportunity to do agility drills...jumping downed trees, dodging between the ones still standing, and dealing a constantly changing terrain ...which creates a total body experience like no other. 

I’d placed socks on my hands at the start of the run...my hands are sensitive to the cold and I’m a freeze baby.  It was not a good sign for the kind of winter we’re likely to have.  It turned out to be a challenging run and a good workout and in some ways, I was glad it was so sloppy since it got me doing things I hadn’t done in some time.

Dinner was a smoothie and a chicken breast.  I’m trying to stick as close as I can to the Paleo lately.  Tomorrow may be challenge when Holly and I join Mimi for a dinner at Kirtland Country Club. 

Run workout:  43 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  650.

No comments:

Post a Comment