Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lower back takes me out for a day...

Monday, October 3, 2011

I struggled from my bed in the morning…my lower back had made what was normally a simple gesture a painful effort. I figured a hot shower might loosen it up, but I was wrong and after a breakfast of Kashi cereal, headed off to work where I hoped it would get better.

Well…it never did and by the time I made it home that evening, I was all about laying on a heating pad instead of going for a bike ride. Actually, the weather folks had gotten it wrong. They’d predicted sunshine for the day, but it had rained and the roads were too messy for a ride anyway. No matter…I wasn’t doing anything. I plugged in a good movie and tried to get comfortable, but soon found that was out of the question. The worst part was Holly was traveling leaving no one to whom I could whine. Yeah, Jack was there…but he didn’t even know I was hurting. After a couple of hours of lying around, I made my way to the kitchen to prepare a dinner for us. I knew we had plenty of leftovers, but I really didn’t want to use a bunch of pans I’d have to clean afterwards, so I emptied the contents of four Tupperware containers into a large frying pan, stirred it until it was crunchy and brown and called Jack to eat. He looked it over and said, “I’m going to make something for myself,” I can’t say I was surprised…the kid never has known what was good. I mean all of the things I’d put in the pan were things he’d eaten and liked…so why not just have them all together? No big deal…all the more for me.

It was an auspicious beginning to our week as bachelors, but tomorrow would be better. Maybe we’d go out to dinner…I know that would make Jack happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment