Thursday, October 27, 2011

Play the game!

Wednesday, October 27, 2011
I made a dinner of scrambled eggs, went into the Family Room and clicked on the TV to watch game six of the World Series while I ate.  At first I thought I’d gotten a commercial, but when the people dancing and singing carried on without mentioning any product to sell, I began to worry.  If it was a rain delay, they’d have something come across the screen to let me know…wouldn’t they?  I clicked over to PBS and watched a nature show about Burmese Pythons and how they’re invading southern Florida.  I watched one about 15 feet long swallowing an entire  alligator...which is something I used to think could kick ass on anything in a swamp.

The game never came on, but I did find out that sometimes the alligator eats the python...kind of like the World Series in that you don’t know who’s going to win on any given night.  I was disappointed to find out that it wasn’t actually raining in St. Louis...only threatening to rain and they didn’t want to start the game when the forecast for the next two days was clear skies.  Thank God the Indians aren’t in the Series this year.  If they were waiting for two days in a row when the forecast was for sunshine, they’d do better to plan building a domed stadium.  Texas was hot and wanting desperately to play the game and I feel their frustration.  Now the edge is off and key members of the St. Louis pitching staff have an extra day of rest.  The game was scheduled and the conditions at game time were well within playability.  Start the game!!   But no one was asking me.

Holly texted me from upstairs (yeah...we do that instead of getting up and walking to where the other person is) asking if I wanted her to make chocolate pudding with peanut butter in it.  Well...duh...of course I wanted her to make it and I wanted to eat it...and she knew this, but why was she tempting me?  She came down and made it and asked if I wanted to eat some and watch an episode of ‘Modern Family’ with her.  I caved.  Fortunately, I’d done a double earlier.

I did the Survival Workout and was not surprised when I was unable to match my pr totals from the last workout.  I finished the workout just in time to meet with a friend interested in trying out our fabulous running trails and took him on a scenic tour, which included my Chagrin River overlook, a loop through Squire’s Castle and up the hill behind it, and through the cabins made famous in the Survival Workout.  He never runs on the trails and was a little unprepared for the level of mud we encountered...but manned up and handled it.  He’s also used to running on level, flat terrain...something I tend to avoid...and found himself lagging by the end of the run.  He was pleased with the scenic beauty and anxious to come and try again.  “I’d never have found my way out of there if you hadn’t been with me,” he acknowledged.  “Keep that in mind whenever you’re running with me,” I told him.  I like having that control thing going for me.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.  Run duration: 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm for Survival and 120 for the run.
Calories burned during workout:  600 for the Survival and 400 for the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment