Monday, November 7, 2011

A hike at Indian Point

Sunday, November 06, 2011
Though the leaves are far from being done, I had to rake the ones that were down.  I put an hour in on this chore and then sat down to one of those really horrible lunches…hot dogs.

I know the struggles of eating well.  If I don’t have convenient Paleo food on hand…I cheat.  I hate the time involved in making good meals and the constant shopping necessary to keep a supply of fresh fruits and vegetables in the house.  Lately, I’ve been lazy about making the extra trips to the grocery store and my old habits are returning. 

Holly asked about hiking at the Indian Point Lake Metropark off of Vroom Road, which I agreed to readily.  I love hiking out there in the fall.  We park in the bottom lot and take a long, steep hike up a dirt road to the trail leading to Indian Point and the beautiful vistas of the Grand River below.  There are a set of stairs…147 to be exact…leading from the Point down to the river, which we added to the hike.  We’d been on a loop course, and once down the steps, were about 20 feet across the river from the parking lot where we’d left the car.  Now…take your shoes off and you’re across that river and the hike’s over.  That wouldn’t be the Cowboy way though, so we hiked back up the stairs and retraced our steps back to the car.  It was a pretty and somewhat challenging hike which took around 70 minutes.

My poor eating continued with a tuna casserole for dinner.  I suppose it wouldn’t have been so bad if I’d stopped after my first, heaping serving…but I didn’t.  The good news is, the ‘fat’ clothes are still falling off of me and the thin clothes are still fitting.  I can’t keep ignoring the diet though…it will catch up.

Hike workout:  70 minutes.  Leaf raking: 1 hour.
Training Heart Rate: 75 bpm hiking, maybe 80 raking.
Calories burned during workout:  400 hiking and 300 for yard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment