Monday, November 14, 2011

"They don't make them like they used to..."

Friday, November 11, 2011
I had the day off and was determined to get a couple of chores done.  The first snow of the year had fallen overnight...really nothing more than a dusting...but it was to have a large consequence in my plans for the day. 

Holly’s van needed tires and since I had the whole day, I’d planned to take it in and get them mounted.  Four inches of snow had fallen in Chardon which is where I was headed for tires and when I pulled on the lot, found that I wasn’t the only one thinking it was time to ‘tire up’.  I was screwed.  I had Holly’s Kitchen Aid in the car and needed to take it in for repairs and thought maybe I’d do that and then return for tires.  I’d put the tire thing off and I didn’t want to go home without getting it done...that would be a bad move. 

I made it to the small appliance repair store and went in with Holly’s mixer.  The clerk recognized the mixer right away.  “I told your wife that you could fix it.  I kinda diagramed how to take apart all the layers real careful like, so you could put it all back together once you figured out which gear was the problem.  Oh...and I told her to be reeeel careful with the grease so you didn’t lose any and then it wouldn’t work so good neither,” he explained, wondering why he’d thought I could fix it when he’d never met me before.

“If I took apart something with two parts and then put it back together, there’d be one part sitting on my workbench when I was done and I wouldn’t know where it went.  I think I’ll have you fix it,” I said. 

He told me that they just didn’t make them like they used to and in the case of this Kitchen Aid mixer, I guess he’s right.  It’s less than two years old.  While I was at the counter, another customer came in toting what was clearly an antique Kitchen Aid mixer.  I asked him how long he’d had it.  “Got it for a wedding present.  Let’s see...that’d be 45 years old,” he said.  When I questioned him further, he admitted to having to replace the cord once about twenty years ago.   Bastard.

The tire place was no better when I returned, so I gave it up and went home.  Holly was dissatisfied with my excurse...can’t blame her...but my options were limited.  I took some wrath and then went out to rake the leaves while she headed off to work in a van with old tires.

Disagreeable weather put me on the trainer for two episodes of ‘The Soprano’s’ and close to two hours of riding.  I needed every minute since I’d had left over lasagna for lunch and hot dogs and milk shakes for dinner.  Probably didn’t quite balance out...but it was close.

Bike workout:  1 hour and 40 minutes.  Leaf raking: 2 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 120 bpm hiking, maybe 80 raking.
Calories burned during workout:  1,400 biking and 600 for yard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment