Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Strange findings in North Chagrin

Monday, November 07, 2011
Though I had already done a Survival Workout, I wanted a little more.  My feet have been extremely sore over the past two weeks, so I didn’t want to run.  Biking was limited by the shortened days and I wasn’t ready for time on the trainer, so I donned my hiking gear and headed off into the park.

My plan was to climb about 6 hills along the bridle trail I use to do the Survival Workout.  Only a couple of these hills have trails on them because they are too steep.  This, of course, makes them great for a bushwhack…adding to the intensity of the workout. 

I crested my second ridge and was walking along it looking for a place I could safely descend back to the bridle trail when I noticed something out of place in the woods.  From a distance, it looked like the roof to a small structure, but as I got closer, I could see it was a tarp strung between four trees.  Beneath it was a lightweight, tattered sleeping bag, a pair of shoes, an old jacket a gallon jug of water and a rain slicker.  It appeared that someone had been living on this ridge for a period of time, but had abandoned the site...possibly due to the cold of the late fall nights.  It had all the signs of a homeless person’s shelter.

Camping as a choice and with the appropriate gear is a wonderful thing.  This person was in distress.  I searched the area for any further signs of someone, but found none.  Once back to my car, I drove to the Ranger Station to report the finding…they would likely want to check if someone was back there somewhere.  Since it was after six, I found the office empty, so I figured I’d stop back tomorrow some time and let them know.

I’d also found two yellow 4’ tall pylon covers in creek beds away from the trails.  I have no idea how they’d gotten there…maybe with all the flooding they were washed from a construction site…but I grabbed them both and hauled them out.  I crossed the rugby field as I approached the car doing my normal search for golf balls…and found 14!  It was just one of those nights when unusual items were turning up in the park, though only if you went places people don’t normally go.

Dinner was lasagna from the neighbors whose kitchen is torn out.  Jen is always sending food over and it must be making her insane that she is out of commission...but here was some homemade lasagna and Paleo Diet or not...I was eating it.  It was rather filling...probably for two people...and I would have liked to have taken a walk with Holly around 11 p.m. as is her preference, but my feet were still sore from I’m not sure what and I decided to call it a night.  They seem to be getting slowly better, but I’m planning a run tomorrow night and that may put me back at square one.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.  Hike duration: 70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600 for SW and 300 for hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment