Friday, November 25, 2011

A little too much eating...

Thursday, November 24, 2011
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and this one was shaping up to be perfect.  It was sunny and getting warmer as I drove to photograph Jason’s annual Turkey Bowl football game for him.  The boys play tackle, which can be a little risky when you do it once a year and without pads...but it’s Thanksgiving and there are some things you just have to do.  Someone went down in a pile and caught a knee to the nose and ended up in the emergency room for surgery to fix the break.  I looked at him as he was getting into the car and assured him he looked horribly rugged with blood spilling and his nose as crooked as an ‘S’ but reminded him that “chicks will dig it.”  He seemed consoled.

Once back home, I decided I needed to get some winterizing work done while the weather permitted.  My knee was feeling better, so I grabbed the ladder and climbed onto the roof to empty gutters and pound nails back into the gutter where it had worked its way loose.  I also raked the yard, washed the kitchen floor and cleaned out the garage before convincing Savannah a hike in the Metropark with Dakota would be a great way to prepare for dinner.  We went off trail, climbing down to the marsh and slipping in the mud and on leaves saturated from recent rains...adding to the challenge of the hike.

It was a good hike and the domestic activities were better than nothing, but I was feeling under-exercised as I took the turkey out of the oven and began pulling off dark meat.  I ate almost a pound before we sat down, but then went almost Paleo taking only meat, beans, corn and sweet potatoes while passing on the dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy.  Dessert...well...that was another story.  I had four different kinds...none Paleo...not even trying to restrain myself. 

All the guys went outside to throw baseballs, frisbees and footballs, but my knee was making the twisting associated with a good throw quite painful.  Still...it was better than sitting in front of TV and watching football.  After the guests had left, I suited up for a ride on the trainer but never quite started as my knee was aching.  I’d done a little too much I supposed, and was thinking that I didn’t want to jeopardize a chance to ride outside tomorrow for a couple of hours...so I bagged it and had some more cheesecake instead.  Ah well...it happens once a year and tomorrow is the day that I’ll work it all off again.

Hike duration: 60 minutes.  Yard work duration:  2 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 75 bpm.
Calories burned:  250 hiking and 450 on domestic chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment