Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Last long evening ride?

Tuesday, November 01, 2011
It was a glorious afternoon.  The sun was shining brightly against deep blue skies.  The colors of leaves still hanging onto their branches were especially vibrant and I knew I had to ride.

I got on the bike with some concessions to the cooler, fall air.  I donned a second t-shirt, put on some socks (on my feet), and slipped my bandana under my helmet before mounting and riding down the drive.  All were very good choices I would find out before the ride was done. 

This is the last week I’ll be able to ride any substantial distance after work with the time change looming, so I took full advantage.  I headed out through Waite Hill via the freshly paved roads in the North Chagrin Reservation.  I slowed as I made my way through Waite Hill to take in the beauty of the landscape.  The sun was filtering through yellow leaves creating a golden hue on the road.  I wanted to stop and just revel in this fall splendor, but stopping really isn’t in my vocabulary when riding and besides, I’d be pushing up against the dark if I rode the entire route I had in mind.

By the time I reached Mulberry and started my return trip, the sun was sending very long shadows across the road and it was cooling quickly.  I’d broken a sweat and my clothes were now damp adding to the pleasantness of what was becoming a chilling ride.  Whistling down Wilson Mills over 50 mph…normally a rush…was now a little painful.  Still…it beat anything else I could be doing.

I rode the final miles in what mothers would call darkness…which is a very bad idea since I have no lights on the bike.  I was wearing bright cycling clothes and there are reflectors on the back of the bike, but I don’t recommend riding at dusk.  I know I’m tougher to see and one nudge from a car…and I’m toast.

I had a good dinner to top off the evening.  Holly had stewed some chicken breasts, so I sautéed some fresh spinach and mushrooms, scrambled in some eggs and added about 6 ounces of chicken.  I washed it all down with a delicious smoothie and never even thought about the pumpkin spice cake still hanging out in the downstairs refrigerator.   Holly was so impressed with the tastiness of my concoction, that she suggested I cook for us both in the future.  Okay…that was a mistake.

Bike workout:  One hour and 50 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout:  1,450.

No comments:

Post a Comment