Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Almost too cold to ride...almost.

Sunday, December 11, 2011
Today would be a test of my fortitude.  I’d been telling myself...and John...that we should continue riding through the winter as long as the roads permitted and I had done a couple of chilly rides, but it was in the high 30’s and my confidence was wavering.  When I considered the option of another session on the trainer watching DVD’s on my laptop though, it didn’t seem quite so cold.

I dressed for the occasion trying to follow my own winter advice...if you’re comfortable when you start, you’re overdressed.  I had a short-sleeved polyester t-shirt closet to my skin which I covered with a heavier, long-sleeved cotton t-shirt.  Normally, I wouldn’t wear cotton because once it’s wet, it loses all insulating properties, but as cold as it was I didn’t figure to do too much sweating.  For my final layer, I pulled on my short-sleeved riding jersey...with no insulating qualities...but it looked cool.  To this, I added riding tights, my cycling shorts, a stocking cap under my helmet, two pairs of socks, by booties over my shoes and heavy pair of gloves.  I was ready to ride.

I headed out on my Waite Hill/Mulberry Road route and things were swell for the first hour.  My hands and feet were a little cold as I approached Wilson Mills hill, but it was nothing like the bone-chilling cold I felt in both places as I raced down that hill at 50 mph creating a chill factor in the negative digits.  At least I felt completely alive.  The ride up ‘Road Closed’ in the park following that descent was a welcoming, warming trend and I actually had a slight sweat going when I crested the hill with only 15 minutes left to ride.  I took those final minutes slowly, trying not to create any more of a chill factor than was absolutely necessary.  Once off the bike, I noticed just how cold my feet had gotten...they weren’t walking too well...and went in and verified the temperature at 37 degrees.

I think the ride was at the edge of what I can do for around two hours and it was important that the sun was shining.  I can’t do much more to keep my feet warm and they seem to be the only issue.  I suppose there are better/warmer booties on the market, but I don’t feel like investing too heavily as I’m not going to ride if there is ice or slop on the road. 

I’d spent some time earlier in the day with Jack in the church day care where he is the sitter.  He had three young boys with him and there was a lot of bickering...one in particular who wouldn’t play nice.  He didn’t know what to do exactly...so I sat down and started playing with them and the problems melted away.  On the ride home later, he paid me the ultimate compliment from a teen.  “Man...you sure are good with kids, dad.  How did you get so good at it...and how come we were never brats like that?”

I thanked him for his comment and told him what I felt was always the key.  “Jack...’no’ never means ‘maybe’.  When you're kids figure that out, they know you mean business.”

Bike Duration:  One hour and 55 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 1750.

No comments:

Post a Comment