Wednesday, December 21, 2011

New meat on the Survival Workout

Sunday, December 18, 2011
My nephew Nathan was home for the holidays and again hoping to do the Survival Workout.   He arrived at the park...late...and said he had a friend on the way that wanted to try out the workout.  “He’s out of shape and wants to get his ass kicked by an old man,” he said.

“I don’t know anything about any ‘old man’ but I know a lot about kicking young ass,” I replied and ordered him to the ground to do push-ups and try and catch up with me.  He was struggling around 20...so to encourage him I said, “just did 80 myself.”  With that, he collapsed to the ground.

His friend, Matt, arrived 5 minutes later.  “If you’re out of shape, don’t push yourself to the limit on every set.  I don’t want you messing up the park with your puke,” I said.  He looked at me and assured me he would not be puking.  “Don’t make is sound like a challenge, Matt...I like challenges,” I said.

Matt did about 20 push-ups and began to whine while doing the dips.  “There’s a lot of things I’ll tolerate from a rookie, Matt, but whining is not one of them.  Man up...or I’ll have Kim come and show you how to really work out,” I said.  Nathan had heard stories about Kim and was already dreading ‘the beast’ since I’d warned him she would be joining us for a work out before the holidays were over.

Matt was actually a good sport from that point.  He attempted every lift and pushed himself to get the most from each set.  By the end, both were dragging and struggled to knock out those final push-ups.  Nathan would be returning for our Tuesday night workout.  Matt…I’m not so sure.

I returned home for one of the season’s most fattening dinners…beef and dumplings with banana cream pie for dessert.  There was no doubt in my mind about the math for this day…I ate a lot more calories than I burned.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment