Thursday, December 8, 2011

Learning how to run...again.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011
I’d been watching the video of my interview with the running shoe doc, playing it over and over and concluding that I really hadn’t listened to his advice about breaking the minimalist shoes...or my feet...in slowly.  More importantly, I hadn’t changed my foot strike at all and that was surely where my heal pain had come from.  I went to Google and began searching for the Tarahumara runners and found everything I needed about foot strike, barefoot running and running in minimalist shoes.  I could see what they were doing...striking primarily on the outside of the forefront of the foot.  Since I was again ready to do some light running, I’d decided it was time to make a conscious effort to make that change.

I laced on my old running shoes figuring I should work on one thing at a time...the first being the foot strike and only after I’d perfected it would I try out the shoes again.  I started slowly down the trail, purposefully landing on the front of my foot as I’d observed in the videos.  I felt like I did playing the outfield in baseball...up on my toes.  My first impression was that I was running faster than usual and when I reached a checkpoint...I was.

I probably should have run about 10 minutes and called it a day, but once I’ve started anything there is little chance I’m going to stop soon...or sensibly.  I ran for 30 minutes and towards the end of the run, I could feel the stress I was placing on my calves by running so differently.  This was good and bad.  Good...because it told me I was running correctly.  Placing the front of the foot down first increased the stress on the calf muscles and was to be expected.  Bad...because I knew I was going to be sore tomorrow...and the next day.

This was a work in progress and would take continued concentration as it was an unnatural way for me to run.  I headed home knowing I needed some time on the trainer...and something to watch to deal with the boredom.  I chose a disc with the episodes of the Andy Griffith show from the first season.  It’s my favorite sitcom of all time, but only while Don Knotts in the show.  I watched three episodes and managed a 75 minute ride to go with the run.

I had another decent dinner eating vegetable soup into which I put about 6 ounces of chicken breast.  To that,  I added a great smoothie with two bananas, an orange, a cup of blueberries, yogurt and apple cider.  I suppose my discipline is being aided by the simple fact that Holly hasn’t yet made any Christmas cookies.  I do have two holiday parties to attend this weekend so I think I’ll keep doing doubles until then.

Run duration: 31 minutes.  Bike duration: 76 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 running, 130 for the bike.
Calories burned:  535 for the run, 1125 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment