Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A short, pain-free run.

Monday, December 19, 2011
Running has been a struggle for me since I tried my different foot strike and ended up with a sore left calf.  It is the same injury that kept me for running for almost 10 years and keeps me reluctant to push it.  Still...I knew I had to get out and try something, so I thought a short run followed by a bout with the trainer back home would do.

I started gingerly, expecting the sharp pain with each step.  On my previous two runs, it had struck around the 10-minute mark so as I approached this point, I began to cringe.  Once there...it was like ‘okay – I’m going to be fine’.  I don’t know why I know...maybe it’s just reading the signs for so many years, but I made it to 21 minutes and called it a day.  It was a little tight as I cooled down, but no pain.

Once home, I quickly switched to riding gear and loaded a DVD in the computer to distract me for the two-hour ride I was planning.  Before I began though, I checked with Holly to confirm our Christmas shopping trip.  “Aren’t you taking a shower so we can go now?” she asked.

You don’t stay married for 36 years without understanding chain of command, what are requests and what should be treated as orders.  “Yeah...that’s just what I was doing...only I wanted to make sure that’s what you wanted to do, too,” I said smoothly.

So...I showered and the ride was off.  At least I’d run.  The holidays are such a crunch for time.  I should know that if I don’t do all my exercise before I get home, I’m not likely to get it done.  I’m off the week between Christmas and the New Year and I’m thinking I’ll do some great doubles and burn lots of calories.  Until then, I’ll continue to try and keep my nose above the nog.

Run Duration: 21 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140.
Calories burned:  350.

No comments:

Post a Comment