Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Calf pain returns...

Tuesday, December 13, 2011
I went to the Metropark planning to run and follow it up with the Survival Workout.  The pain I’d had in my calf on my last run...the result of my new running style I assumed...was not bothering me.  I put on my old shoes and decided to just try run as I had for the previous 40 years...heal/toe.  I made it a little over 10 minutes and almost to the exact spot I’d had trouble on the previous run when my calf pain flared.  I stopped running and moved quickly into my Survival Workout concluding that I would need a couple of weeks without running to let the calf heal.

I’d done 86 push-ups before starting the run, so I dropped to the ground and did a second set.  I was not on my normal course for the Survival Workout and was missing some key rocks and such, but the value of the Survival Workout is that it doesn’t need to be done on any particular course or with any particular rock.  I found substitutes...including swing set poles, logs, and picnic tables in other places in the park.  Oh joy.

The cold turned into bronchitis that Holly has been going through for the past two weeks crossed over to me.  I was feeling light-headed and suffering with terrible headaches the previous evening and was even considering a trip to the ER at 4 a.m.  I popped some Advil instead and finally fell asleep, but still felt horrible as I made my way through the day.  In fact, I was considering a ride on the bike but didn’t want to risk a dizzy spell while riding.  Wiser folks would recommend a day off...me included...if I was advising anyone but me.  I don’t always understand my compulsion to exercise...but it’s there.  The entire workout went well and I didn’t feel any of the effects of the sickness while working out...I never seem to...but it will likely whack me around some more tomorrow.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.  Run duration: 10 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150 for SW and 140 for run.
Calories burned:  600 for SW, 150 for run.

No comments:

Post a Comment