Friday, December 16, 2011

Heidi finishes at Kent...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Heidi finished her last college class and so we decided we should take her out to dinner to celebrate.  She wanted to get something different, which took us to Siamones Thai Restaurant in downtown Akron.  It’s a huge, modern place with none of the nationalist trappings I expect to see when I go into an ethnic restaurant.  We sat in the back of the place under low lights and when I picked up the menu and looked at the size of the print, I dropped it quickly.  “I’m not eating unless somebody reads me the menu,” I said.

Heidi slid her chair closer and treated me like an old man...reading slowly and explaining what things meant...like chicken and broccoli.  “I’m not stupid...I just can’t read stuff in low light with my contacts in,” I reminded her.  She kept speaking slowly and watching my mouth to see if I was drooling or if I had food smeared on my face.  I didn’t since we hadn’t gotten any food yet. 

I continued to feel poorly...hacking and coughing and a head and neck ache that wouldn’t quit.  I made a conscious decision to take a day or two off and try to get a little better.  It’s killing me more than usual because it is the one time of year when I simply can’t say no to desserts and other things I know will add pounds faster than I can say ‘fat boy’.  I’m taking Advil and going at it one day at a time.  I know I should see the doctor, but that’s advice I give to others but never follow myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment