Sunday, December 11, 2011

One party down...one to go

Friday, December 9, 2011
I arrived at the Metropark with the intention of getting in a short run.  A light snow was falling, a condition in which I love to run.  I put on my minimalist shoes with the intention of going another 30 minutes landing on the forefront of my foot as I’d done during the previous run.  My calves were still a little sore from doing this kind of running two days earlier, but I assumed that once I got started the pain would dissipate.  Wrong again.  I made it about 10 minutes when I felt an acute pain in my left calf...the same one that has given me grief over the last 10 years...and immediately stopped running.  I figured I was done for the day and would have to ride longer when I got home, but after walking a couple of minutes, I started up at a slower jog and managed to get back to the car without further damage.  I think I need about four days between runs and may have to alternate running styles until I build up the calves for the stress of running on the front part of my foot.

Once home, I hopped back on the trainer and returned to the movie ‘Secretariat’.  Disney did a wonderful job telling the story of what many feel is the greatest race horse in American history.  Certainly what he did in winning the third leg of horse racing’s Triple Crown...a 30 length victory in the Belmont Stakes...stands as the most astounding race since horses have run the oval track.  It was like watching the Green Bay Packers play Mayfield High School...absolutely no contest.

Holly and I found ourselves at Kirtland Country Club for a Christmas party later that night and the menu was loaded with calories.  I’d burned plenty during my workout and before coming, had made a huge smoothie to take the edge off my appetite.  I didn’t have any appetizers and drank only diet Pepsi during the cocktail hour.  For dinner, I had the Caesar’s salad, steak and lobster...but skipped the butter on the lobster and left the potatoes on my plate.  I did have a small piece of banana cream pie for dessert, but compared to Holly’s, it was minor league.  I believe I made it the first step of Christmas party weekend burning more calories than I ate.  Tomorrow is another day...live in the moment.

Run duration: 20 minutes.  Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 running, 130 for the bike.
Calories burned:  350 for the run, 850 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment