Saturday, December 3, 2011

Running again...and riding, too.

Friday, December 2, 2011
Holly’s Kitchen Aide was ready to be picked up...and there is little chance that we will have holiday cookies without it, so when she asked me if I’d get it, I was more than cooperative.  I arrived at the repair shop and after discussing the amount of time before my return...he figured five years...I paid for the mixer, picked it up and moved towards the door.  It’s a seven-quart unit and pretty heavy...I’d say around 20 pounds.  Anyway, as I stepped out the door with the mixer in my left hand, I somehow didn’t notice the six inch drop to the parking lot.  You know how you feel when you think you’re foot is going to be touching something solid only to discover air?  When my foot finally hit pavement, I jerked my lower back to right myself and keep the mixer...and me...from falling.  I felt a twinge in my lower back...one I’ve had many times before...and which is never a good thing.  I put the mixer in the trunk, myself in the driver’s seat and hoped my lower back wouldn’t become a big issue.  Wishful thinking.

I went to the Metropark thinking it was time to try running.  My knee was still troublesome while trying to sleep, but seemed pretty good during the day.  I put on my old, destroyed running shoes and started down the bridle trail at a slow jog.  No pain after half a mile, so I picked up the pace and tried to concentrate on running forefoot and not heal, toe.

I stopped after running 20 minutes and walked a short distance to see if I would feel any pain.  I didn’t and broke into a run to finish the workout.  I completed 30 minutes and jumped back in the car pleased with the results...but not satisfied with only 30 minutes of running with holiday calories on the horizon.

It was in the low 40’s and clear and my thoughts drifted to biking.  I planned my outfit on the way home, worried most about keeping the hands and feet from freezing.  I had cold weather riding booties to cover my shoes and went with a pair of black isotoners on my hands...very GQ.  I wore tights to cover my legs, a polyester t-shirt closest to my skin, a fleece jersey next and my cycling shirt over that.  I wore a stocking cap under my helmet and felt ready to ride. 

I had some trouble getting comfortable on the bike with all the layers and couldn’t get much use from the profile bars as bending over was difficult.  After 20 minutes of riding, I concluded the isotoners were insufficient, and pulled a second pair of thin, cotton gloves I had in my saddle bag a put them on underneath the isotoners to maintain the GQ fashion statement I was making.  I rode for 75 minutes, completely comfortable except for my hands.  Once back in the garage and taking off the gloves, my left index finger began to throb painfully from the cold.  I have heavier gloves which will resolve that issue and now feel that as long as the roads are dry and the temperature is in the mid to upper thirties, I ought to be able to ride.  Much colder than that would be dangerous because patches of black ice could be precarious on narrow tires with 130 pounds of pressure and very little tread.  It turned out to be an excellent double and my knee seemed to be fine for both.  My back, on the other hand, was feeling poorly for the remainder of the evening.

Run duration: 30 minutes.  Bike duration: 75 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 running, 130 for the bike.
Calories burned:  520 for the run, 1125 for the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment