Monday, January 24, 2011

Another Slyman's lunch

Friday, January 21, 2011

One of my co-workers, Tom, is a reasonably regular reader of the blog and so knows a little something about Slyman’s…mostly that he’s never been there and wanted to go. So we did. As we walked in, I recognized a high school classmate and former member of the Cleveland Athletic Club, Tom Frisina, sitting at a table.

After quick intros, Tom said, “hey…John…I’m not eating, like, this whole sandwich. Only half…I’m taking the rest home for later.” It was a reflexive response. I always hassled him about eating too much when I was the Athletic Director at the CAC.

It was great to know that I still had that effect on people. “Okay…hey…bullshit, Tommy,” I said, calling his bluff. Beside…I was going to eat one…without guilt or leftovers.

I went home later and rode the bike an hour, then called Paul and asked him to join me for a hike. There was about 8 inches of snow…and it was damned cold…but as we hiked, I noticed that Paul didn’t even have the decency to wear gloves. “Paul…where’s your gloves, man.”

“I didn’t bring any…it’s not really cold anyway,” he said. Oh…and he was right. I mean it was only 15 degrees…a balmy spring day in Anchorage. As we walked, I asked him about the coldest weather he’d ever camped out in.

“Maybe…30 below or so.” I mean…how does anyone sleep outside in 30 below? After walking, I returned home but found that I wasn’t the least bit hungry and skipped dinner. There is something to be said for a Slyman’s sandwich…you certainly won’t be hungry again for quite a while.

Bike duration: 60 minutes. Hike duration: 60 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 130 biking. 75 hiking.
Calories burned during workout: 900 biking. 350 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment