Friday, January 14, 2011

First Lady of Ohio has nice arms...

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Apparently Karen Kasich, Ohio’s new First Lady, is quite a fitness buff. I wasn’t watching her on TV, but the PD did a story on her toned arms and delts she exhibited at the new Governor’s swearing-in ceremony. She was wearing a sleeveless dress, which showed he arms and shoulders and revealed a person dedicated to exercise.

She’s a swimmer, runner and spends time with the free weights, as well and I think it’s a sign of the times that more office holders and their spouses are walking the talk of health and fitness. An accompanying article talks about the ways to achieve the kind of tone Karen is sporting and does it correctly. Too often the emphasis is placed on the kinds of weight training exercises necessary to develop a muscle group or groups without mentioning that no matter the amount of toning exercises you do, none of it will show if you’re carrying excess body fat. The article goes on to say that to reduce the body fat and show off the tome, you need to be doing the aerobic exercise that burns up the excess calories…and probably monitor the diet, too.

My calf was still quite sore from yesterday’s run. I think I may be back to square one and have to take time off. Never again will on run on hard surfaces since it seems to be the common denominator to my running-related injuries. I’ll probably be able to start back in a week, but I’ll probably do less for the remainder of the winter – sticking to runs of around 30 minutes and adding in the bike to finish the workout.

I had a sore back, as well…probably from all the shoveling and the combination of hiking and running. I decided that a day of complete rest was in the cards and so, with some guilt for not riding at least, did nothing. Tomorrow…back on the bike and probably more shoveling. I’d like to hike in the snow, as well, since I know it’s going to continue to fall and I want the extra work.

No comments:

Post a Comment