Friday, January 28, 2011

A beautiful run...

Wednesday, January 26
There was a light snow falling as I drove to the Metropark and maybe a fresh inch or so on the trails. Perfect weather for a run. The trails have been reasonably packed by skiers, hikers and runners and the fresh snow just makes it so pretty…covering up the yellow snow you shouldn’t eat.

I was planning on doing a 20-25 minute run and hoping for a pain-free calf. I’m figuring on getting the running back to a little over 30 minutes and holding it there for three weeks or so to be certain that I’m healthy before Spring gets here. I’m really getting tired of the running-related injuries and I believe that the best surface for me is the uneven, snow-covered trails. We’ll see.

I was in a t-shirt and shorts with socks on my hands, but not even a little cold. There weren’t many people around, but I got the ‘are you really that stupid?’ look from everyone I encountered. If I’d been running longer, I might have put on a long-sleeved t-shirt but why have the encumbrance for a shorty? No reason.

The run went well and was very enjoyable. Snow covered everything and the flakes falling against my skin made me feel more alive. I finished in 26 minutes, but felt that I could have run much further.

Alaska Paul stopped over later to meet visit with John and me. We convinced him that he needed to return next September to join us for a trip to the Adirondacks. He’s planning a 40-day canoe trip from Minnesota to Hudson Bay via the Red River this summer, but what’s another week in the back country? When he went to leave, he decided that, instead of asking Jason to move his car so that he could get out of the driveway, he’d maneuver around it. You’d think a guy from Alaska would have enough experience with snow to know that you can’t drive up and over snow banks without getting stuck…but apparently he spends more time on a snow machine than behind the wheel of a car…and it took three of us to get him off the lawn.

Run duration: 26 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 140
Calories burned during workout: 450.

No comments:

Post a Comment