Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A little running...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I loved the time away from work, but it was kind of nice getting back. For one thing, I’ll be around food temptations less…not that I’d ever succumb. I started the day with a couple of apples and threw two more in my car for later. It would be all I ate until after working out that evening.

I pulled my fourth double in a row beginning with a run of 11 minutes. I went very easily on a hiking trail in the park with Dakota on my heels. I had some tightness in my calf while running, but nothing so serious as to have me stop. I did a small loop and returned to the car…completely demoralizing Dakota…until she realized I was just stopping long enough to outfit myself with a windbreaker, gloves and my backpack…all things I didn’t need for the short run.

We did a loop on the trails that for me included 300 step-ups. Having only the 30-pound pack is quite different than doing the same loop with 60 pounds. It took about 54 minutes to complete the loop and we finished in total darkness. We had the woods to ourselves and the crunch of our footsteps on the frozen leaf bed echoed around us…probably scaring away any wildlife.

I drove home and immediately climbed on the bike, which I’d set up before leaving. My legs were pretty tired and I decided that one episode of ‘Lost’ or about 43 minutes of riding, would suffice.

Holly was working late and after a shower, the urge to eat junk was becoming overwhelming. To distract myself, I whipped together a batch of pinole and had a bar with some skim milk. I went through the kitchen and refrigerator and disposed of…without eating…the last piece of peanut butter cream pie and some cookies and candy.

Bike duration: 43 minutes. Hike/run duration: 64 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 130 biking. 100-145 hiking and running.
Calories burned during workout: 825 biking. 700 hiking and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment